Here you can find our step by step process to install paving stones for a longer lasting result. This tried and tested method stands the test of time.
Many people install paving stones on a 6-8 inch base of crushed compacted gravel and then set on a 1″ plus base of sand. This method was how I installed paving stones for years until a paving stone installer from Vancouver showed me another way and explained what made his way superior. His way was to use the usual base of 6-8 inches of crush base but instead of putting it all down and compacting it in layers and setting grades with a laser level. His method was the following:
9 step guide to the perfect Paving Stone Patio:
1. Install paving stones crush base in layers with water and compaction, until you’re approximately the thickness of your screed bars away from the desired height of finished crush base.
2. Once crush base is tamped, set screed bars on crush base and set to final height, slope etc. using extra crush to hold them in position. (you may need to firmly pack crush around screed bars to hold in place, until step 3)
3.Once done, add enough crush so you can use a straight edge to screed the crush as you would if you were screeding sand.
4. With crush now screeded, soak area moderately and tamp (making sure NOT to hit the screed bars which are still set in crush base!!)
5. Repeat step 4 if any areas compacted more than others. Once the crush is compacted properly and evenly, the base should now be approximately 1/4inch lower than the top of the screed bars.
6. Add sand and screed once more, and remove screed bars. Trowel in the sand, to fill where screed bars were. Now you have an area ready to install paving stones
7. Once the paving stones are laid and cut in, go around the edge of patio/ driveway etc and use a trowel to cut away any excess sand down to the crush base. Add a bead of concrete all around the area on crush base and smooth. this will setup and keep area tight and prevent any movement in the paving stones.
8. Once the concrete has set, add polymeric sand to fill all gaps and sweep in. Plate tamper the entire area and sweep off any excess sand.
9. Wash paver area as to polymeric sand directions, and let dry.
The paving stone installer from Vancouver explained that when you install paving stones this way, you have less sand and therefore less chance of movement. I have used this method for the last 15 years, and all my patio’s and driveway’s look as good as the day they were installed.
The Answer: Less Sand = longer and stronger patio/driveway lifespan.
We thrive on offering the best possible results and products that we possibly can. When it comes to landscaping, we aim to be the best.
Now, we realise that the first response will be they must be expensive. This is not actually the case, alot of our clients have been impressed on how we are cheaper and more creative than other landscaping quotes they have received.
This is because we don’t believe in making you pay extra for quality that you deserve.
We pride ourselves in spending extra time and sometimes product to bring you better and longer lasting results.
WHAT MAKES OUR LANDSCAPES THE BEST?
When we use the term better results, we are not only referring to the finished product, but also the longevity of that landscaping. We want them to look as good in 10 years as the day it went in, aside of the plants being abit bigger.
We are Landscaper Industry Certified by the CNLA as well as Irrigation certified with Rainbird.
We have spent many years working in the trade and found the best ways to install all areas of any garden.
A Landscaping Company In Nanaimo, BC that prides itself in professional and creative results!
Since 2005, our full-service design and build firm has worked to become one of the leading landscape companies in Nanaimo, BC. We have built a solid reputation over the years by providing customers with original concepts and exceptional services. Our professional landscapers will work with you to enhance the natural beauty of your outdoor living space. we make homeowners proud and neighbours envious.
When we decided to redesign our outdoor space, we put a lot of thought into choosing our landscaping company. We wanted someone local, creative and experienced who could complete the process from design to installation without us dealing with multiple contractors. We are so thrilled that we chose Creative by Design, and we will have them back next year to do another project! Phil was easy to work with, responsible, dedicated, and with outstanding attention to detail. From the initial consultation to the end of the project, Phil captured our vision and brought it to life. The quality of the materials and installation process gives us great confidence, and the price was fair without any surprises on our final bill. We absolutely recommend Phil and Creative by Design to anyone looking for high-quality landscaping.